These instructions show users (club officers, committee chairmen) how to put information on the club website.
First, understand that there are two ways to add information:
- Add a Post. A post is like a news article, likely to be of interest only for a limited time, say monthly. You can also edit posts you have made previously, but only the posts that you yourself wrote.
- Pages. A page is permanent information. Pages are listed in the website’s right hand column. This is a good place for information that should stay on the site indefinitely or until modified. An example is a list of area repeaters, or a list of club officers. Only the webmaster may add/change pages, but anyone can create a comment. All comments are reviewed by the webmaster. So if you see something that needs to be modified, just enter a comment.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Create a Post
Let’s say you’re the club president and you want to put up your monthly column. Here’s what you do:
- Log in. (Note, you may want to print this page prior to going further, so you can continue to use it as a reference.) On every website page, in the right hand column, there’s a group of links called
meta. One of them is
Log in, as shown below.
Click on this. This brings up a screen where you insert your username (your callsign) and password (sent to you individually), as shown below .
- The Dashboard. After login, you’ll be taken to your dashboard, as shown below.
If you want, in the upper right hand corner is
QuickPress. You can enter a title, add some content, and click
Publish. Note that you can paste content into this area from another application. But the
QuickPresscapability is rather limited, so you might want to use the regular post editor to create (or modify) your post.
- Adding a Post. Look at the list of menu items along the left hand side of the Dashboard. One of them is
Posts. Hovering your mouse over
Postsgives you two options. One is to add a post, and the other is to look at all your posts (you can only view your own posts). You can click on
Add new. Or, you can click on
Posts, which adds menu items underneath, as shown below.
One of these new menu items is
Add New. Either way, you bring up a screen that says
Add New Post.
- Enter the Information. You can put your title where it says
Enter title here. You insert your content in the big empty box. Note that this big empty box has two tabs. One is called
Visualand the other is
HTML. Unless you love to create HTML code, let’s stick with
Visual. Note the toolbar, which behaves very much like a word processing program.
- Preview Your Post. The first box in the right hand column is marked
Publish. Click on the button marked
Preview. This brings up another browser screen and it shows what your post will look like. You can close this screen and go back to your
Add New Postscreen and make any necessary changes until it looks the way you want it to, repeating this cycle as many times as you need to.
- Publish your post. When you’re happy with what it looks like, go back to the
Publishbox and click on the
Publish. You’re done!
- Bells and Whistles. There are many other options on the
Add New Postpage, including adding images, selecting the category your post will be in, adding any tags you wish, and so on. You can experiment with these. I do suggest at a minimum adding a category. NOTE: If you add images, please make sure they do not exceed 640 pixels in width! Otherwise they’ll overlap the right hand column.
- Log out. Up at the top of your posts page at the very right is something that reads
Howdy, ke0og(with your callsign there), as shown below.
Hover your mouse over this. This gives you some options, one of which is
Log out. Click on this and you’re back to the login page. At the bottom of the login page, you’ll see
Back to Montrose Amateur Radio Club. Clicking on this takes you to the site’s home page.